No Experimenting For Rovers Boss

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 14cantankerousGas

14cantankerousGas
  • Members
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

Mark McGhee will not start experimenting with his Bristol Rovers side as their npower League Two campaign meanders towards a conclusion.

Rovers currently sit 14th in the table, some 13 points off both the relegation zone and the play-off places.

With little to play for as the term draws to a close, McGhee could be forgiven for running the rule over the younger or less-used members of his squad, but the Scot is adamant he will only pick a team on merit.

"I won't put out any team that I don't think can win a game," he told BBC Radio Bristol. "We want to win every game and every time I put a team out it's to win that game. We don't always win it, of course, but we try to.

"Nothing between now and the end of the season will be any different. You won't suddenly see me throw in five young players - apart from anything else it would be totally unfair on those playing already because those players want to play as well.

"You have to be balanced in terms of throwing in youngsters, particularly ahead of those guys who have earned their place in the team or their place in the squad."

My link

3486r94.jpg

#2 PirateGas1883

PirateGas1883
  • Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

I think he should blood a few youngsters in, it's the only way they can improve

#3 Four Eyes Gas

Four Eyes Gas
  • Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

what concerns me about that is not that he wont pick any younger players, because if they deserve a chance they probably will get one, more that he can't because they aren't good enough

#4 the bags

the bags
  • Members
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

what concerns me about that is not that he wont pick any younger players, because if they deserve a chance they probably will get one, more that he can't because they aren't good enough

I've watched a few of the junior squad games, and 1 or 2 deserve a chance, when we're 100% safe that is.

#5 14cantankerousGas

14cantankerousGas
  • Members
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

I think he should blood a few youngsters in, it's the only way they can improve

Maybe he is still making his mind up on senior players for next season. Which ones to offer new contracts and which ones to ship out. Once he's done that, 2 or 3 of the youngsters should be given a start.

3486r94.jpg

#6 Gas-Ed

Gas-Ed
  • Members
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

I would love Powell to play a part in the remainder of the season.

tumblr_mv7sbys20d1reys8wo1_500.gif

#7 Gasser_1883

Gasser_1883
  • Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

To be Fair to McGhee, I too wouldn't throw 5 youth players in the team, maybe 1 or 2 but not certainly 5! we've already seen young players in the squad on match days so that shows Mcghee hasn't forgotten about them and hopefully maybe 1 or 2 of them may make a substitute appearance in the coming weeks. But as 14Words said, he has other squad members to see to in Wayne Brown for example.

In Mark McGhee I trust Posted Image

''If you fail to prepare then prepare to fail''.

#8 neilv93

neilv93
  • Members
  • 1,485 posts
  • LocationBradley Stoke

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

Can't rate Darren Jefferies high enough, he's already good enough for the first team IMO so wouldn't be disappointed if he started getting minutes soon.

#9 gashead86mrk2

gashead86mrk2
  • Members
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

He needs to play the best team he can when ever he can. Simple as that really.

#10 Jomo

Jomo
  • Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

He needs to play the best team he can when ever he can. Simple as that really.

True, but there is also a case to say that there could be youngsters with the potential to exceed the ability of those in the first team now, potential which will only be realised once they start playing senior level matches.

#11 Newmarket Gas

Newmarket Gas
  • Members
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationNewmarket

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

McGhee is a smart guy with a lot of know how, IMO he does not need to see the youngsters in a full game to know they have potential, if he keeps them on for next year that will be his sign to them that they are good enough. The man has made huge strides with what was a pretty useless team and turned them into a strong unit, with the help of North the youngsters will be learning all the time from this. UTG.

FFSC JOIN NOW FOR ONLY £10

#12 englishrose

englishrose
  • Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

True, but there is also a case to say that there could be youngsters with the potential to exceed the ability of those in the first team now, potential which will only be realised once they start playing senior level matches.

Totally agree this is div 2 and for me there is a regular core 6 to 8 players should start. But a few of the youngsters are nearer than some people think.Some have more long term potential than some who play regular.

#13 Bristol Rovers

Bristol Rovers
  • Members
  • 5,822 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

McGhee is a smart guy with a lot of know how, IMO he does not need to see the youngsters in a full game to know they have potential, if he keeps them on for next year that will be his sign to them that they are good enough. The man has made huge strides with what was a pretty useless team and turned them into a strong unit, with the help of North the youngsters will be learning all the time from this. UTG.

So you never want to see youngsters given a chance, even if it is only a 15 min run out off the bench, I am sure if I was Harrold etc I wouldn't mind being replaced by a young players learning the game. I don't think any manager can grade the ability of a young player on the limited reserve games we play.

#14 chris34

chris34
  • Members
  • 1,893 posts
  • LocationNorth Korea

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

So you never want to see youngsters given a chance, even if it is only a 15 min run out off the bench, I am sure if I was Harrold etc I wouldn't mind being replaced by a young players learning the game. I don't think any manager can grade the ability of a young player on the limited reserve games we play.

I think Mcghee,North and Fullarton know what they are doing when it comes to the youngsters if they work hard enough keep there head down and impress the right people they will get on the bench simple as that.

#15 Newmarket Gas

Newmarket Gas
  • Members
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationNewmarket

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

Bristol Rovers, I can't believe you got that impression from what I said! I am sure they will get a chance, if and when the guy who is paid to choose the team says so and up till now he is doing a bloody good job of doing that, these young lads are used to winning so I would imagine he does not want to stick them in a full game that they might get the stuffing knocked out of them and suffer a heavy defeat.

FFSC JOIN NOW FOR ONLY £10

#16 jhollebon

jhollebon
  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

I think it's important to remember that McGhee has only been in the job for about 2 months. Some might argue that we're still going through our honeymoon period. McGhee probably wouldn't want to destroy the squad ethos he has developed so far by bringing in a lot of youngsters, and risk having an awful end to the season. Saying that I do think McGhee will probably start introducing one or two of the younger players and those who have had long term injuries (e.g Downes, Poke and Brown) slowly in the next couple of weeks. However, I don't think McGhee would make a lot of changes which could damage the confidence and morale of the team, or damage the supporters positive confidence we currently have in our manager.

#17 miagsygas

miagsygas
  • Members
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

It's not like he's saying he'll never throw in the youngsters, he's just saying he wont do it making wholesale changes that aren't to merit. He's basically getting the youth to battle even harder to get a chance.

duty_calls.png

#18 manchestergas

manchestergas
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

Not putting in any youngsters but certainly experimenting tonight. 5 changes which sees Gill, Carayol and Zebroski on the bench with Stanley and Parkes out of the squad completely. Downes is back on the bench which is very good news.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users