Photo

"first And Foremost The Supporters Need To See Effort And Commitment, And After That I Like To Play Football."

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 elygas

elygas
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

Bristol Rovers new manager Mark McGhee says that he sees managing Rovers as an exciting prospect.

The experienced Scotsman, has signed a two-and-a-half year contract, and believes that Rovers have the potential to be in a much higher postition.

He told bristolrovers.co.uk: "When I was offered the opportunity to come and meet with the board, I knew the city, I knew the club and I knew it had a bit more potential than the present position shows, so I was interested to hear what the board had to say.

"I was very impressed with their ambition for the club, and it was a very exciting proposition, that I am delighted to be here to take on."

And McGhee saw Rovers play against Crawley on Saturday, and believes he has something to work with.

He said: "The only thing I am thinking about today is Saturday. I was at the game on Saturday and I thought the performance was spirited and organised.

"I was impressed with certain aspects of what I saw, but I believe there are aspects we can improve on, and that is something we will work at in training on Thursday and Friday."

And McGhee believes that the club has plenty of potential that needs to be fulfilled.

He said: "At the very worst we should be in the First Division and I think we should be challenging and have aspirations to get to the Championship - which is not an easy task.

"The longer term view is that, but it will be one step at a time. We should not start making wild and false promises, but what we will be looking for is indicators and improvement that the supporters can look at and see that we are working hard and that we are improving.

"I think they will be encouraged by that going into next season, and then there will be change in the summer, more improvement and more significant movement in the squad.

"The short term is Saturday. The medium term is making some significant progress between now and the end of the season, and longer term is getting ourselves up the leagues."

And when asked how he likes to do things, the manager described himself as a hard task master who likes to play football.

He said: "I like to think of myself as hard task master, and I require time from my players and I require work. I work with the players and like to get on with the players. I like to be someone the players can talk to and approach. I will work as hard as any player is prepared to work.

"First and foremost the supporters need to see effort and commitment, and after that I like to play football."

#2 Bs5 Gas

Bs5 Gas
  • Guests
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

Very good interview.

Roll on Saturday!

#3 @_danowens

@_danowens

Me > You

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

"At the very worst we should be in the First Division and I think we should be challenging and have aspirations to get to the Championship"

and Buckle had the cheek to say we had to lower our expectations?

Posted Image

#4 WeAreTheGas

WeAreTheGas
  • Members
  • 4,791 posts
  • LocationSouthampton

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

"At the very worst we should be in the First Division and I think we should be challenging and have aspirations to get to the Championship"

and Buckle had the cheek to say we had to lower our expectations?

Indeed.

Even though I do understand what Buckle meant at the time, he definitely showed a lot of naivety with that comment.

The buzz around the club was completely lost with that.

Ending winless runs since 1883...

#5 Tilly's Thighs

Tilly's Thighs
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationWiltshire

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

A good start - he's talking the talk. Let's get behind him.

#6 JESUS OF HORFIELD

JESUS OF HORFIELD
  • Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

A good start - he's talking the talk. Let's get behind him.

Well said. :clap:

#7 PirateGas1883

PirateGas1883
  • Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

He mentions playing football does he actually do it that way?

#8 Gasheaduntilidie

Gasheaduntilidie
  • Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

We will have to see won't we. I don't think we can judge too much on his style this season though. We need to give him time and the summer to build his squad.

#9 Harley

Harley
  • Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:47 AM

Comes across really well in his interview.

#10 bournetobeblue

bournetobeblue
  • Members
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationIsle of Purbeck

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

His clubs have played nice stuff before.
Personally I would just rather get out of the shit we are in this season, regardless of what the football is like..
And then next season look forward to some decent stuff..
Like he said in his interview, he likes to play football the proper way, but also do not expect to to see overnight change of style and us playing like Barcelona straight away

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users